Congratulations to Jaq Grantford on Becoming the 2019 Kennedy Prize Winner with her portrait of “Tootsie, Just an Old Drag Queen”
In 1953, at the age of 20, Tootsie was jailed in Pentridge for two years simply for being gay. And then at the age of 62, he embarked on a grand new adventure and started to dress in drag and perform throughout the pub circuits of Melbourne, becoming famous in the Australian drag scene. Two weeks after seeing his portrait he died, aged 84.
- Kennedy Prize winner pays tribute to Australian drag queen icon Ken ‘Tootsie’ Atherton
- Inner beauty shines through in Kennedy Prize winning portrait of late drag queen Tootsie
- Kennedy Arts Prize 2019 award winner announced
- Portrait of late drag star Tootsie wins 2019 Kennedy Prize
- INDAILY iSpy – 2019 Kennedy Prize
- Tootsie portrait wins the Kennedy Prize – Listen to the interview on ABC The Art Show